October 6, 2020
ARTICLE I: NAME
The organization shall be called: THE FRIENDS OF THE OCONOMOWOC PUBLIC LIBRARY (hereinafter also called “Friends”)
ARTICLE II: PURPOSES
The purpose of this nonprofit organization shall be to maintain and grow an association of persons interested in:
- Assisting the Library in its efforts to meet community needs by supporting and encouraging participation in Library programs and activities which contribute to the educational and cultural life of the community
- Promoting public awareness of the Library by providing information to the public about Library services, facilities, and needs
- Assisting in raising funds for special Library needs
- Advancing a close understanding and cooperation between Library users, trustees, and librarians
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Membership is open to all persons or organizations interested in furthering the purpose of the Friends of the Oconomowoc Public Library.
Section 2: Each member in good standing shall be entitled to one (1) vote. A family membership shall be entitled to one (1) vote.
Section 3: Dues
- Annual membership dues shall be determined by the Board of Directors. Annual membership dues shall be not more than ninety-nine dollars ($99). Additional membership categories may be determined by the board.
- Dues are payable on or before January 1 of each year, and current members shall be notified of this renewal date.
- Annual membership shall extend for twelve months from January 1 of each year. If a person becomes a member during the months of September, October, November, or December, that membership will be grandfathered into the following year.
- The failure of a member to pay dues by March 1 shall result in their membership expiring
Section 4: Library Staff and Board of Trustees
- The staff of the Oconomowoc Public Library are dues-free members of the Friends of the Oconomowoc Public Library.
- The members of the Board of Trustees of the Oconomowoc Public Library are dues-free members of the Friends of the Oconomowoc Public Library.
ARTICLE IV: FINANCE
Section 1: Donations
- This organization shall encourage and receive donations and bequests at any time.
Section 2: Deposits and Disbursements
- All dues and funds shall be made payable to and deposited in the account of the Friends of the Oconomowoc Public Library.
- Incidental expenditures shall be disbursed by the Treasurer.
- Major expenditures (over $100.00 but less than $2,000.00) shall be disbursed by the Treasurer and Library Director. Expenditures of $2,000.00 or more must be approved by the Friends Board of Directors.
Section 3: Fiscal Calendar and Annual Audit
- The fiscal year of this organization shall begin on October 1 of each year and end on September 30 of the following year.
- An annual audit shall be made of the organization’s accounts.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS
Section 1: The officers of the Friends of the Oconomowoc Public Library Board shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The officers must be Friends members in good standing.
Section 2: Officers shall be elected at the annual meeting by a majority of those members present. A slate of officers shall be presented by a Nominating Committee of at least two, to be appointed by the Board of Directors. Nominations from the floor will be invited. No one shall be nominated without his/her consent.
- Officers shall serve for a two-year term. Term of office begins immediately following the annual meeting.
- Officers may succeed themselves.
ARTICLE VI: DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
The duties of the officers shall be such as are implied by their respective titles and as specified in these bylaws.
Section 1: President
- The President shall be the presiding officer at all meetings of the Board of Directors and of the membership.
- The President shall appoint committee chairs.
- The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of the organization and shall carry out and execute all the plans and policies determined by the Board of Directors
Section 2: Vice President
- The Vice President shall act, in the absence of the President, in the capacity of the President.
- The Vice President shall assist the President as needed.
Section 3: Secretary
- The Secretary shall keep minutes of all meetings, take care of necessary correspondence, and maintain files of all organizational documents.
Section 4: Treasurer
- The Treasurer shall have the oversight responsibility for all funds of the organization and for the monies due and payable to the organization, including the deposit of such monies in the bank or other depository designated by the board and the payment of bills as approved by the Board of Directors.
- The Treasurer shall make regular financial reports to the Board of Directors and for the annual audit.
- The Treasurer shall act in the absence of the membership committee chair, and shall perform the duties assigned to that position.
ARTICLE VII: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: The business of the organization shall be administered by the Board of Directors.
Section 2: The Board of Directors shall consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Library Director, and immediate past President.
Section 3: The members of the Board of Directors shall, at all times, be Friends members in good standing.
Section 4: A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Section 5: A Director may resign at any time by filing a written resignation with the President. If a board member is absent without good cause from three successive board meetings, the office shall be deemed a resignation and shall result in the office being declared vacant. Board members shall contact the President regarding any absence.
Section 6: Vacancies on the Board of Directors shall be filled by appointment made by the President for the balance of the term vacated, and confirmed by a majority vote by the Board of Directors.
Section 7: Each director shall disclose to the Board of Directors any possible conflict of interest whenever the conflict pertains to a matter being considered by the board. Any Director having such conflict on any matter shall abstain from voting on the matter and shall not be counted in determining the quorum for the vote on the matter.
ARTICLE VIII: COMMITTEES
The following shall be the committees of the Friends: Adult Events, Youth Events, Membership, Publicity/Communications, Book Sale, Fundraising/Grant Writing, Hospitality, Nominating, and any other committee the Board of Directors deems necessary.
ARTICLE IX: MEETINGS
Section 1: Meetings of the Membership
- Unless otherwise authorized by the Board of Directors, the annual membership meeting shall be held in September or October, on a date to be specified, and shall include the election of officers every second year.
- There may be additional membership meetings during each year. Membership meetings shall be scheduled by the Board of Directors, and prior notice of all membership meetings shall be published.
Section 2: Meetings of the Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall meet at least four times a year.
- Prior notice of all board meetings shall be published.
- Members may attend meetings of the Board of Directors. The President may allow time for member comments to the board.
Section 3: All meetings shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
ARTICLE X: DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution of this organization, any assets remaining after payment of obligations shall be paid to the Oconomowoc Public Library Board of Trustees.
ARTICLE XI: AMENDMENTS
These bylaws may be amended at any membership meeting of the organization by a two-thirds vote of the members present. Prior notice of amendment must be given to the membership, and the proposed amendments shall be made available in writing to the membership in advance of said meeting.