The Board of Trustees and staff of the Oconomowoc Public Library are committed to providing excellent customer service in a safe and inviting atmosphere. Staff and Library patrons share the responsibility to maintain this atmosphere at all times. The following guidelines define those behaviors and activities that are and are not allowed on Library property.
Staff Will Offer
- Courteous and knowledgeable assistance
- Access to Library resources
- A reasonably quiet environment
- A clean physical environment
- Appropriate intervention when patrons do not observe the Library Code of Conduct and other Library policies
Library Patrons Will
- Conduct themselves properly, within the limits of the Library’s rules, applicable laws, and common sense.
- Interact courteously with other patrons and Library staff
- Follow all Library policies and staff direction
The following behaviors and activities are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
- All illegal activities
- Carrying firearms or other weapons, except by authorized law enforcement agents
- Damaging, defacing, destroying, or stealing Library property
- Carrying, consuming, and/or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Smoking, vaping, or using other tobacco products
- Harassing or threatening others
- Behaving in a disorderly, boisterous, or loud manner
- Disturbing others through disruptive behavior such as personal electronics use, soliciting, panhandling, snoring, littering, personal hygiene, and/or other disruptions
- Eating food or drinking beverages from an uncovered container
- Blocking entrances, exits, and/or walkways
- Entering without shoes, shirt, and/or appropriate attire
- Unauthorized use of another person’s Library account
- Animals, except as required by persons with disabilities. Patrons may not leave animals unattended outside of building.
- Failing to accompany and supervise all children under age 8 who are in a patron’s care.
- Skateboarding, bike riding, or rollerblading outside of authorized areas. Patrons must park bikes in the bike racks provided.
- Trespassing on Library property
Enforcement of this Policy
Patrons who fail to follow this policy and/or engage in conduct deemed inappropriate by Library staff are subject to removal from Library property and/or restriction of Library privileges.
Staff will issue a verbal warning to those not following the Library rules or being continually disruptive. Staff will give a second verbal warning if the behavior persists. If the behavior continues, staff will ask the patron to leave the Library. Recurring or extreme incidents could result in expulsion from the Library. Staff may expel a patron immediately for serious infractions, without the first and/or second warnings.
Staff will provide expelled patrons an “Expulsion Appeal” form, which the patron must complete and return electronically or in the outdoor book return by the close of the next business day.
Staff may summon law enforcement for assistance with enforcing this policy.