The Oconomowoc Public Library will maintain a Mobile Library program that serves local residential living facilities (“facility” or “facilities”). Before a facility begins receiving Mobile Library services, an authorized representative of the facility must sign the library’s Mobile Library Agreement. If at any time the library’s budget, plans, or staffing change, Mobile Library services may adjust, increase, or decrease.
Because the staffing and needs of various facilities differ from one another, some terms of service (excluding those in this policy) may vary. The library will arrange those variable terms of service with each facility. All terms must be approved by the library director and followed faithfully by each local residential living facility.
This Mobile Library Policy is limited to residential living facilities. The library may visit other facilities, events or organizations to check out materials and issue library cards. Cards issued and materials checked out on those occasions are subject to the library’s standard circulation policies and cardholder agreement (see Overdue Materials Policy).
Library Card Application
- Mobile library patrons must complete a Mobile Library card application.
- Applicants must grant permission for staff of the residential living facility to assist the library in retrieving checked-out items in case of a move or death.
- Mobile Library patrons are encouraged to provide photo identification and proof of address when applying for a library card. However, if such documentation is not available, staff of the residential living facility may verify the identity and address of the Mobile Library patron in place of photo identification and proof of address.
Delivery and Pick-Up of Materials
- The library’s Special Services Coordinator (SSC) will visit residential living facilities and have items available for checkout, collect returned titles, accept item requests, register new patrons for library cards, and assist in eBook checkouts.
- Materials brought for browsing will be items without a holds queue. Patrons may place a hold and the item will be delivered at a future date.
- Returned materials may be picked up by Mobile Library volunteers (please see Mobile Library Volunteers section).
- If a Mobile Library patron is on the holds queue for an item, the item will be delivered at the next delivery date after it becomes available for that patron.
- Mobile Library patrons may not request library materials that are not holdable (e.g., “browsing” or “lucky day” items).
- Mobile Library patrons may not request items from outside the CAFÉ library system (Interlibrary Loan items).
Loan Periods and Fines
- Checkout periods and renewal policies are the same for Mobile Library patrons as for all other patrons.
- Participants are responsible for all items checked out to their library card and will be charged the standard fee for any lost or damaged item (see Overdue Library Materials Policy).
- If a patron has a lost or damaged item on their account, he or she will not be permitted to check out Mobile Library materials until his or her account is back in good standing, either by returning the item or paying the replacement fee.
- Recipients of this service check out and return materials based on the Mobile Library delivery schedule. While no overdue fines will be charged, it is expected that materials will be returned based on the Mobile Library delivery schedule.
- The library may limit the number or type of materials available for checkout via Mobile Library.
Mobile Library Volunteers
- Library volunteers may pick up materials from Mobile Library locations.
- Mobile Library volunteers must:
- Pass a City of Oconomowoc background check
- Complete a volunteer interview and training through the Oconomowoc Public Library
- Provide proof of insurance that meets city attorney standards
- Sign a liability waiver indemnifying the Oconomowoc Public Library and the City of Oconomowoc against any injury or loss