The Library is currently accepting applications for a friendly and energetic part-time reference librarian. Shifts are Monday 4-8, Tuesday 12-4, Wednesday 12-4. The position is also part of a Sat/Sun weekend rotation. Pleasant atmosphere! Starting at $18.47 per hour. To apply, submit online application and resume by 4 pm on July 9, 2020. Position available until filled.
Head of Reference, Adult Services, and Cataloging
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Responsible for providing high-quality reference service at the Oconomowoc Public Library.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Serve library patrons by answering reference questions, resolving patron problems, and providing guidance in use of information resources
- Assist patrons with use of library equipment, including internet, computers, photocopier, scanner, printer, and coin-operated print release station
- Troubleshoot library equipment when necessary
- Assist with reference projects as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain clean and organized appearance of reference area
- Monitor patron behavior, addressing any problems in a firm but respectful manner
- Is librarian in charge when working evenings or weekends
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college or university or currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLIS program.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current library practices
- Considerable knowledge of online and print reference resources
- Passion for learning new ways of helping patrons with their information needs
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to provide excellent patron service in a sometimes hectic environment
- Comfort with computers and other technology, including e-readers, cell phones (both Android and Apple operating systems) and other personal electronic devices
- Experience with eBooks and other downloadable media
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patrons, coworkers, supervisors, other agencies, and the general public
- Ability to contribute to a positive work culture that fosters excellent customer service and teamwork.
- Ability to attend mandatory reference staff meetings (2nd Thursday of the month).
- Ability to work the shifts as scheduled including weekends and evenings
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Computer, photocopier, scanner, printer, coin-operated print release station, and telephone.
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed mostly in office settings. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger; handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related test may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of the specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.