Excellent part-time reference desk position with adult programming/event responsibilities. Reference desk shifts are Tues 4 to 8 p.m., Fri 1 to 5 p.m., & 1 weekend per month. The position works an additional 10 to 15 hours per month planning and hosting adult library programs. Pleasant atmosphere! Starting $18.02 per hour. To apply, submit online application and resume by 4 p.m. on October 23, 2019.
Responsible for providing high-quality reference service at the Oconomowoc Public Library.
Job Description Summary
Summary of Duties:
- Serve library patrons by answering reference questions, resolving patron problems, and providing guidance in use of information resources.
- Assist patrons with use of library equipment, including internet computers, photocopier, scanner, printer, and coin-operated print release station.
- Under the direction of the Head Reference Librarian, plans and implements one to two programs for adults per month.
- Troubleshoot library equipment when necessary.
- Assist with reference projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain clean and organized appearance of reference area.
- Monitor patron behavior, addressing any problems in a firm but respectful manner.
- Is librarian in charge when working evening or weekend hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Summary of Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Summary -
- Considerable knowledge of online and print reference resources.
- Passion for learning new ways of helping patrons with their information needs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to provide excellent patron service in a sometimes hectic environment.
- Working knowledge of modern technology, including e-readers and personal electronic devices.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patrons, coworkers, supervisors, other agencies, and the general public.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Computer, photocopier, scanner, printer, coin-operated print release station, and telephone.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited college/university required or applicant must be a student currently pursuing an MLS degree.
- Minimum one year of experience working at a public library reference desk preferred.
For additional information, please contact Human Resources at 262-569-3225